Mad Lemon Jewelry

Jewelry blog, where you can see MLJewelry, beading and hammering; DIY projects, useful tips about everything about jewelry and making it.

Real Swarovski Crystals or fake glass ?

Do you know how to tell a difference between real Swarovski Crystals and fake glass beads. Some sellers sell fake glass beads as Swarovski. Have to know how to tell a difference so you can't be fooled with cheap glass as quality Swarovski crystals. There is a complete different branch in jewelry making for glass beads, but they are still not Swarovski. Here's some tips to notice the difference:

  • Swarovski® crystals are generally not strung when offered for sale.
  • Original Swarovski® packaging   - dependant on size, the bulk packages will range from 10 gross to 1/2 gross, in well-branded, sealed envelopes. The newest Swarovski® bulk packaging is sealed with an authenticated silver toned hologram saying "CRYSTALLIZED."

  • Swarovski uses technology and machines that give just that right cut to each and every crystal.       Swarovski® crystals are perfectly uniform. Since they are machine cut, each crystal is the same. This means that the height, width and slope are consistent. A hand polished imitator bead will not have as uniform a cut. You may also notice different dimensions from bead to bead.
  • In addition the facets on a genuine crystal will line up. Imitations will not meet at the points. A Swarovski will have all the points meeting. Examine the crystal. You will see a perfect meeting of the points. 


  •  If you look at the surface of a genuine Swarovski®, you probably won't see any scratches. The "imitations" often have scratches, swirl marks ("oily" looking surface).
  • When you look inside the crystal, you will see no bubbles. If you see any bubbles, you know immediately that it is a fake.
  • One of the best ways to find a fake, is to put it next to the real thing. A Swarovski will outshine a crystal that is not a genuine Swarovski. The other crystal might be pretty, but there is something that just doesn't look the same.
















                  • Color Names - This might be a strange one to some, but the color names are specifically chosen by Swarovski and something we always look at is, what color name is the company using.  
                  • When searching for colors you might find some generic names like yellow or red or blue but these are not colors that Swarovski has produced.  Swarovski names their colors Citrine, or Red Topaz, or Montana Sapphire instead of more generic use names.
                   

                  10 comments:

                  very nice descriptions. ive been collecting Swarovisky figurines for the last 15 years or so. i also do handmade wire jewelry. where can i see some of your work? p.s hows the weather in Estonia?

                   

                  Thank you! Any pictures to share of your figurines or jewelry? My work is right here in my blog.
                  It's windy atm ;).

                   

                  Thank you for wanting to share knowledge about detecting real from fake Swarovski but you need to site this article and give the person who actually wrote it credit. Plagiarism is real
                  Thx

                   

                  Actually, only one person didn't write it, I gathered information about the fakes and the real ones and put it together, so that it would help other people too, I didn't mean it bad.
                  I would never copy a whole text like that and show it like I write it.
                  But thanks for saying

                   

                  Gathering info without siting (it is the same thing = plagiarism). I appreciate your honesty though, I don't mean to paint a bad light

                  -Best of Luck

                   

                  nice! thank you for the tips!
                  I am working with SW crystal also!!

                   

                  Thank you so much for sharing this information on the difference between real Swarovski Crystals and the fake. Just recently after paying $17.00 for a Genuine Swarovski Crystal infant bracelet for my daughter I decided that I would instead like to make them for her and also make them to sell them in my boutique. Excited about it I got ebay and bought my first few packs Swarovski bicone beads from a few different sellers. They all arrived but as I am looking at them I am noticing that with 2 of the packages the beads were all alike, but with the other 11 color pakages the beads were all different. So I got online and found your site which helped me to identify that those 11 packs are the fake. I am so glad that I found this out before I started to sell the bracelets as something they are not. Thanks so much

                   

                  It makes my day to know that somebody, like you, got useful information from my blog that actually helped them, I made this post because I started to question about my crystals too, so I thought there will be others like me out there. Glad I could help...

                   

                  The newer flatbacks have 14 facets, while fakes have 8 or 12. I had a merchant try to sell me fakes the other day with 8 facets and no sparkle. When I said that it was fake, she insisted it was real.

                  Total liar! She was pulling it out of a Chinese package it came in, and didn't even say Swarovski on the packaging! Unbelievable, some crooked people! Don't be fooled by unscrupulous sellers!

                   


                  I want to buy a Crystal Jewelry found here seems pretty good, do not know to pick the help of everyone to the point.bracelets