Mad Lemon Jewelry

Jewelry blog, where you can see MLJewelry, beading and hammering; DIY projects, useful tips about everything about jewelry and making it.

Photography tips, all of the object in focus


Hey!
So you try to photograph your jewelry or accessories or anything with a macro lens...
But it's just frustrating how all of the object is not in focus. Small part of it is but the rest just fades away.. Are your photos similar to mine?:
Some of it in focus but not the rest..
When something can go wrong it does.. Just blur..

Accidentally I found this article on Etsy forum and it spoke about photography, and I thought that it was just what I needed. Before that I thought that I could never do photography like that when everything is in focus. But when I can do it you can!

Here's the article:
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6588194

Before this article I pretty much had all the settings automatic, but now I'm proud to say that I dare to use manual settings just as they fit the conditions.

This is the photo I took after all these tips.
(Light is a little bit off but that's just because I didn't have my master flash with me and it was after sun down but I was too excited not to try)

4 comments:

it is nice indeed to have the whole object in focus, but sometimes, it gives depth to the jewellery when some parts are blurred. I guess it depends what you want to emphasise on the photo, the whole thing or you want to show something in particular (eg the focal bead.)
If you don't have your master flash, you can still edit the levels in a digital photo editing software!
By the way, those are nice earrings :)

 

Yes, I agree. But that was an improvement for me cause before I only knew how to put a small part in focus but not all.
I know yes, but I never have the time to edit all the pictures that need editing and I'm not eager to learn how to do it fast and not the time consuming way.
Thank you!

 

Like the spirals 'don't twist earrings', I've done a set similar to this and its a nice style. Good idea on the t-shirt, if you hadn't of explained it, I thought you'd bought it like this. Only 15, amazing - you've got some good talent ...interesting to see where this takes you! 'Elf taught' is the way to go, that way you ride with your enthusiasm and are not tied down to what other people think you should do.

 

I looked at your blog that set was absolutely gorgeous!
I think most of the people think that I bought it like that...
Thank you! :)
I think so too, I hate it when others are thinking for me or anybody else..